Thursday, May 27, 2010

Spoon Flowers

A few months ago, I saw the most amazing kitchen wreath I have ever laid my eyes on over at Tatertots and Jello, which showcased a great spoon flower. Of course I immediately imitated Jen's beautiful work. However, I am just now brave enough to post my version to share. Mine doesn't quite include the charming centerpiece her's did, but it works for me!


Some of the materials I used are shown below. An ugly old frame, black paint, cheap thrifted silverware. gingham ribbon (my love), hot glue and scrapbook paper were just what I needed to get started.



First, I painted the frame black and cut some scrapbook paper to fit the exterior of the frame. (When mounting the spoon flowers later, I wanted the frame to act more as a shadow box.)



I started with inexpensive silverware that I purchased a Goodwill and bent it at the neck to make the spoon heads form petals and use the stems as leaves.



I then used a dab of hot glue in various places to form the silverware into clusters, which I then glued togther with a VERY generous amount of hot glue. (To be realistic I wish that I had known about and used Gorilla Glue for this part. I have a feeling it would provide a stronger hold than hot glue.)



To make the centers, I simply used extra crystals that I stole from my dining room chandeleir (don't worry, we won't miss them!)


To attach the spoon flower to the frame, I simply wrapped a string around the heavily hotglued flower backs and ran the gingham ribbon through it.



I then just tied the spoon to the frame with the paper mounted on the back. This way, the spoon is simply hanging from the frame and not resting its weight on the paper backing. I love the idea of repurposing things this way. Thanks for the great idea Jen!



I am loving this whimsical addition to my kitchen at the moment. And, it goes great with this awesome wind chime my sister bought me a couple of years ago at a flea market.



I'll be linking to these parties this week. Stop by and take a peek! Happy Thursday Friends!

38 comments:

michelle@somedaycrafts May 27, 2010 at 5:09 AM  

Yours looks beautiful! I am featuring your blog as a "BLOG TO WATCH" at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Y'all are very talented and creative. I'm am impressed weekly with what you do. Next thing you now, you will be as big as Tatertots and Jello!!! I'm putting your button at the top of my blog for the next few days.

Pati @ A Crafty Escape May 27, 2010 at 6:13 AM  

I love it! The crystals are great, as is the ribbon!

Patti @ Pandoras Box May 27, 2010 at 6:48 AM  

I also saw this a while back but I can't end the flatware - how did you do it?

Last 2 days to enter LANTERN GIVEAWAY from CSN - Stop over

Jessica May 27, 2010 at 6:58 AM  

Patrice! I love it! It is a nice addition to your kitchen, they are fabulous in person.

Erin A May 27, 2010 at 7:37 AM  

Yours looks so great, and it is perfect with that windchime!

TBonesMom May 27, 2010 at 8:35 AM  

Really, really cute...but where are the forks? I thought they would add a nice contrast. :)

Patrice May 27, 2010 at 8:45 AM  

I have another under works with the forks. I had to use them for the tutorial pictures because I didn't photograph the spoons as I went.

Jackie the Junk Junkie May 27, 2010 at 9:19 AM  

Thats great. . . I think I'll have to try one of these soon :D

Amber D May 27, 2010 at 9:20 AM  

Humm this gives me lots of ideas about how to make my kitchen cute until we redo it in a few years!

Kari May 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM  

Hey Lemon Tree Creations...I have a rinky dink blog and on it I share "Magnificent Blogs" every Monday with my friends (and small following). I just wanted to let you know that you should stop by on Monday for a look at why I love your blog :)

Jenn May 27, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

Oh my goodness!! How neat is that??!! Love it! Too bad I never seem to have a spoon in the house to use, let alone extras to craft with!!! My kiddies are spoon monsters!!

Tiffany May 27, 2010 at 1:05 PM  

Love this, Patrice! You did a fantastic job! Love the scrapbook paper you used and the ribbon and the crystals were a great finishing touch!

Amber Noella May 27, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

Very pretty!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} May 27, 2010 at 2:28 PM  

Super sweet! I love the way you finished it off, with the bling and the fabric behind it. So cute!!!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans May 27, 2010 at 2:49 PM  

Very cool! Perfect for the kitchen! : )

KimMalk May 28, 2010 at 9:11 AM  

This is so darling. I don't see where the forks went in your finished flower. Are they underneath the spoons?

Teresa May 28, 2010 at 7:17 PM  

Found you via Tatertots & Jello. Love this idea...turned out so cute.

Amy May 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM  

Patrice-love this! I've never seen spoons used as a wreath! Great idea to use crystals as the center!!!

Jenn May 29, 2010 at 10:06 AM  

I love this! I am going to make this sometime.
Have a great weekend!

Katie Olthoff May 29, 2010 at 6:29 PM  

That is really cute! And would look perfect in my kitchen. ;) I have the same paper and gingham ribbon in my craft closet, too.

Robyn May 29, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

I think that's DELIGHTFUL! I never saw the original but I think yours ROCKS! THANKS so much for sharing and I'm so glad I saw this on Fingerprints party! LOVE IT!

Andy Porter May 30, 2010 at 12:49 AM  

That is such a cool idea! I love how it turned out! Thanks so much for linking to Poppies at Play! I've so enjoyed seeing your amazing projects! It's truly been a pleasure! Have a wonderful summer!
XOXO,
Andy

Tara May 30, 2010 at 12:29 PM  

Another wonderful Project! How Cute! Love these!

Pearl Maple May 31, 2010 at 5:14 AM  

Just wow, not seen anything like that before, very creative way to recycle old silverware.

Katie May 31, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

Love that!!

Unknown May 31, 2010 at 9:47 AM  

very unique! come link up to making monday marvelous! happy memorial day :)

Get Nestled In May 31, 2010 at 3:54 PM  

Hi, I'm visiting from Modern Craftswoman Monday. I also did a spoon project recently! How cool that your spoons are gathered to resemble a flower! Love it!!

T.bird

FLOWERSHOPGURL May 31, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

Hi, I love your creative project, so cute!
Hugz,
Kim

Katie June 1, 2010 at 5:59 AM  

Such a cute idea! I am stopping over from Tip Junkie!

HoosierHomemade June 1, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

Wow! Very cool! Don't you just love Jen's Blog? You did a great job and thanks for the tutorial!
Visiting from Tip Junkie!
~Liz

The Autocrat: Haley June 1, 2010 at 9:25 PM  

Wow! Very very fabulous! I am putting this on my crafting to do list!!

Unknown June 2, 2010 at 8:55 AM  

That is just beautiful!! What a talking piece. Love it.

Loose Sparrow Arts N Crafts June 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

What a great idea and it turned out so lovely. I make silverware jewelry. I love all the different ideas that can be used with old silverware...in fact I love reusing any items. Great blog!

Donene June 2, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

Oh, so clever! It looks great!

Sheri@childmade.com June 3, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

Very artistic! One of those things that you couldn't tell what it was made of until you got closer. Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link.

Helena June 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

Whoa, this is crazy! I have never seen anything like it, and it totally blew my mind. You guys are so awesome.

Thank you for participating in the Craft Therapy Session with Life in the Pitts

Mad in Crafts June 7, 2010 at 6:30 PM  

Love this! I will be featuring this project on my blog tomorrow!

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

MrsSpock June 13, 2010 at 10:54 AM  

That is REALLY neat!

Related Posts with Thumbnails