Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Party Decor Details

Last week I shared my daughter's fifth birthday party with you and today I thought I would share a couple of ways that the Hello Kitty party decorations came to be.

Well you know there had to be a banner at the party, of course.  I simply used pink & red polka-dot scrapbook paper, pink ribbon, and staples for this one.


It was the quickest and easiest banner I ever made and one of my favorites.  I just put the ribbon on top and stapled it to the paper.  I liked the staple look, it was quirky and not so perfect.


I made the mini banner the exact same way...


I found three other uses for the cupcake toppers since we weren't serving cupcakes at the party.  I printed them on white cardstock and used my scallop circle punch.

I added magnets to several of them to decorate the metal buckets that were used to hold food and drinks.


I used Hello Kitty ones for the pink food buckets...


and number fives to hold the mini banner on the drink bucket.


My daughter helped me glue some back to back on green popsicle sticks to create "flowers".  We added chunks of foam we found in the garage to the bottom of the silver buckets and then added green Easter grass to fill up the top.


We then planted our little flowers at various heights right down in the foam.


Our next use for the cupcake toppers was the goody boxes.  These mini Chinese take-out boxes are actually leftover from our wedding.  I even used them as favor boxes for Avery's first birthday party.  So glad I saved the extras because they really do come in handy!

We filled them with Hello Kitty goodness for the little guests.


We added ribbon and a topper to each box.


The red ribbon boxes were filled with boyish fun and the pink ribbon boxes were filled with girly fun.


Then there was the adorable Hello Kitty drawn, colored, and cut from posterboard that I asked my sister to make for me.  She did a fabulous job and copied a bunch of cute bows in different colors for the kids to "Pin the bow on Hello Kitty".  So fun.


I had a ton of fun making the giant Hello Kitty to be used as a photo op.  This project was quite a process, but very rewarding at the end.

I started off just drawing an outline with pencil.  I erased lines a hundred different times trying to get it right.  I then went over the pencil with a thick permanent black marker.


I painted the white first and then went on from there.  We glued white paper polka-dots to her clothes and paper flowers around the outside.  The grass was the last addition because it just needed a little something more.


Then I used a knife to cut some sort of oval that would fit little faces.


This was a big hit at the party and made for some very cute pictures.


The final project was the doughnut holders.  I didn't want to just set them out any ol' way so I decided to use dowel rods and plain wooden circles from Hobby Lobby.  My husband helped me out with this by drilling the holes and cutting the rods to be 12 inches.


I enlisted some help to paint the doughnut holders and my son was more than happy to participate in this part.


I loved the way they turned out!


I set the holders on little red plates and they looked almost too cute to eat!


Hope you had fun checking out the party.  Thanks for stopping by!  

I will be linking to these parties this week!

Happy Tuesday!

24 comments:

Babycakes April 12, 2011 at 7:35 AM  

I love inexpensive & personalized decorations like this. I'm sure your little one had a lovely time!

sherri lynn April 12, 2011 at 7:53 AM  

i love that you had a giant hello kitty for pictures! that is such a good idea - for any kids' party!

Simply Jessabells April 12, 2011 at 8:03 AM  

What a great party! Very creative. Love the Big Hello Kitty for the party. Also, I really liked the idea of the magnets. Thanks for sharing these cools ideas.

J.

Jodi April 12, 2011 at 9:28 AM  

What a cute party. I love all your decor esp. the big Hello Kitty cut out; so CUTE!!!

Jodi

Unknown April 12, 2011 at 1:22 PM  

That donut holder is fabulous!! So clever and easy! Awesome party! Definitely a new follower! Have a wonderful day!

Eric and Hilary April 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM  

SO FREAking cute! I LOVE IT! the mini banner is such a cute idea, and i love the doughnut holders!

Alyssa April 12, 2011 at 8:06 PM  

I swear I will just hire you for any future parties I throw. You get all the details just right!

Patrice April 13, 2011 at 7:42 AM  

Your attention to detail is phenomenal!!

Erin A April 13, 2011 at 9:04 PM  

These details are all of the things that make your parties so amazing!! Great job! Love Tyson painting the doughnut holders too, too cute!!

Wendy April 13, 2011 at 9:51 PM  

ADORABLE party!!!

Unknown April 13, 2011 at 10:46 PM  

Umm,I LOVE this party. You did SUCH a great job on all of the decor, and the Hello Kitty photo booth is fabulous- totally worth the work!
WAY TO GO friend!
love
k

SAHMmy Says April 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM  

Wow! The donut holders are so cool!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses April 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM  

Such a sweet party. I love all the neat details. Your Hello Kitty cutout was so cute ... and what a fun way to capture some sweet pictures!

Love Everyday April 14, 2011 at 2:27 PM  

Very creative. I absolutely love the doughnut stacks!! They look amazing on the table and I'm sure they were pretty tasty too. I'm all about things that are cute and edible!!

Camilla April 14, 2011 at 9:50 PM  

I saw this the other day when you posted about it and loved it then. Then I just stumbled upon it again on the link up at Fingerprints. I am going to use a lot of these elements for my daughters Tinkerbell party in a couple weeks. Thanks for your creativity. Would love for you to come check out my blog.
www.firstladyofthehouse.blogspot.com

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking April 14, 2011 at 11:38 PM  

OH MY CUTENESS! My 5-yr-old would go insane if she saw this... she's adoring Hello Kitty right now.

Kath April 15, 2011 at 12:13 AM  

LOVE the hello kitty. so cute! the donuts, the pin the bow on hello kitty, wow--it's all great!

your new follower,
kathryn
www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

Rachel@oneprettything.com April 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM  

Thank you so much for sharing these ideas! I'm always looking for things to do with cupcake toppers- the magnets are genius! I'll be linking to this if you don't mind.

Hillcrest Acres April 15, 2011 at 7:51 PM  

Adorable decorations!!!

Lena April 16, 2011 at 7:24 AM  

i love the party decor. simple & sweet!

Unknown April 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM  

I love the donut holders!! ;o)
~Terry
www.mossandclover.blogspot.com

Unknown April 17, 2011 at 7:34 AM  

The donut stand is too cute! And the giant sign for pictures must've been fun. So many darling ideas!

Lolly Jane April 17, 2011 at 11:52 PM  

Super cute! We would ♥ for you to link this up :)

:)Lolly Jane
lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com

Me, still May 16, 2011 at 9:01 AM  

Love the donut stand and the matching big and mini banners!!
Lots of ideas from this party are going into my personal idea file!

Related Posts with Thumbnails